Kirk of St Nicholas

£1.00

Sector : Tourism
Category: Religious Site
Selling Place : TBC

Mentioned as early as 1157 in a Papal document, The Kirk was enlarged in the 15th century then dedicated by Bishop Elphinstone in 1498. The 500th anniversary of the dedication of the enlarged church was marked with the installation of a special stained glass window at the main entrance to the Kirk. It is also known as “The Mither Kirk” (mother church) of the city. St Nicholas was probably one of the two largest parish churches in medieval Scotland.